Merely three weeks ago, I lamented the mediocrity and afterthought-ness of most meatless entrees, so often cobbled together from sides of other dishes. Because I love a plot twist, it seems only right that this week I tell you about my favorite salad which happens to be you guessed it .
cobbled from the sides of other dishes. I used to order it from a taco place in our neighborhood before they changed the recipe, and even though I knew it was just the most filler-y lettuce, the pickled onions,
sliced radishes, pepitas, and crumbled cotija they’d use to garnish their other offerings, masquerading as a salad, I didn’t care. Sometimes it works. Here it sings. It’s absolutely perfect: crunchy, bright, creamy, and inhalable.
When it comes to summer salads, the Baby Wedge Salad with Avocado and Pickled Onions is a true winner. Not only is it incredibly tasty, but it’s also easy to make and packed with nutrient-dense ingredients that will keep you feeling full and satisfied all day long. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at why this salad is perfect for the summer season, what ingredients you’ll need, and how to make it step-by-step.
Why Baby Wedge Salad with Avocado and Pickled Onions is Perfect for Summer
There are several reasons why the Baby Wedge Salad with Avocado and Pickled Onions is the perfect salad for the summer season. First and foremost, it’s incredibly refreshing and light, making it the perfect dish for a hot summer day. Additionally, the salad is packed with nutrient-dense ingredients like avocado, which is rich in healthy fats, fiber, and essential vitamins and minerals. The pickled onions add a tangy and slightly sweet flavor to the salad, making it the perfect accompaniment to grilled meats or fish.
Ingredients You’ll Need
To make this delicious salad, you’ll need the following ingredients:
• 1 head of baby iceberg lettuce
• 1 avocado, sliced
• 1/4 cup of pickled onions
• 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
For the Pickled Onions:
• 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
• 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar
• 1/2 cup of water
• 1 tablespoon of sugar
• 1 tablespoon of kosher salt
For the Dressing:
• 1/4 cup mayonnaise
• 1/4 cup sour cream
• 2 tablespoons of buttermilk
• 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
• 1 garlic clove, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Baby Wedge Salad with Avocado and Pickled Onions
Preparing the Pickled Onions
To prepare the pickled onions, follow these simple steps:
1. Combine the apple cider vinegar, water, sugar, and kosher salt in a small saucepan.
2. Heat the mixture over medium heat till the sugar and salt dissolve.
3. Remove the mixture from the heat and add the sliced red onions.
4. Allow the onions to marinate in the mixture for at least 30 minutes.
Making the Dressing
To make the dressing, follow these simple steps:
1. Combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, buttermilk, lemon juice, minced garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
2. Whisk the mixture together till it’s smooth and creamy.
Assembling the Salad
To assemble the salad, follow these simple steps:
1. Rinse the baby iceberg lettuce head and pat dry. Cut the head into four wedges.
2. Place each wedge onto a plate, cut side facing up.
3. Arrange the avocado slices on top of each wedge.
4. Sprinkle the pickled onions over the avocado slices.
5. Drizzle the dressing over the salad.
6. Sprinkle the crumbled blue cheese and chopped chives on top.
7. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Tips for Making the Perfect Baby Wedge Salad
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when making this delicious salad:
• Make sure to rinse the lettuce and pat it dry before cutting it into wedges.
• Use a sharp knife to cut the lettuce, as a dull knife can bruise the leaves and make them wilt.
• When making the pickled onions, make sure to thinly slice the red onion so that it marinates evenly.
• To make the dressing even creamier, you can add a tablespoon of Greek yogurt or cream cheese.
• You can also add other toppings to the salad, such as sliced tomatoes, bacon bits, or croutons.
The Baby Wedge Salad with Avocado and Pickled Onions is a delicious and refreshing summer salad that’s easy to make and packed with nutritious ingredients. Whether you’re looking for a light lunch or a side dish for your next barbecue, this salad is sure to impress. Follow our step-by-step instructions and tips for making the perfect salad, and you’ll have a healthy and delicious meal in no time!
1. Can I use regular iceberg lettuce instead of baby lettuce?
• Yes, you can use regular iceberg lettuce instead of baby lettuce. Just make sure to rinse and dry it thoroughly before cutting it into wedges.
2. Can I make the pickled onions in advance?
• Yes, you can make the pickled onions up to a week in advance and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
3. Can I use a different type of cheese instead of blue cheese?
• Yes, you can se a different type of cheese, such as feta or goat cheese, if you prefer.
4. Can I use a different type of vinegar for the pickled onions?
• Yes, you can use a different type of vinegar, such as white wine vinegar or rice vinegar, if you prefer.
5. How long will the dressing keep in the refrigerator?
• The dressing will keep in the refrigerator for up to a week. Just make sure to stir it well before using it again.